Summer is a time for fun, and there’s no better way to spend a sunny day than boating, kayaking or canoeing and BoatingLakeCounty.com is your one stop source for all things boating in Lake County. But before we go running to the water, let’s take a minute and review some water safety!
Going boating today? Don’t just carry a life jacket – ‘Wear It!’ Be Prepared! Accidents happen too fast on the water to reach for stowed life jackets. Most boating fatalities are drownings and 84 percent of those who drown, while boating, are not wearing a life jacket.
1. How often should life jackets be tested for proper fit and buoyancy?
A: Every year.
2. How many life jackets are boaters required to have on their boat?
A: One for every passenger.
3. True or False, life jackets come in only one size and shape?
A: FALSE! Life Jackets come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and materials.
4. True or False, life jackets can make it harder to swim if you capsize?
A: FALSE! 85 percent of those who drown, while boating, are not wearing a life jacket.
5. At what age can boaters use inflatable life jackets as an alternative to an inherently buoyant life jacket?
A: 16 years old.
See more about these safety tips and learn a few more on our BoatingLakeCounty.com Blog
Looking for something fun to do this weekend? Check out VisitLakeCounty.org for a full calendar of events and attractions in Lake County!
National Safe Boating week is brought to you by www.safeboatingcampaign.com