Since 2002 Comic Book stores and libraries have been giving away comics for free, that’s right FREE. It happens on the first Saturday in May which happens to be this weekend. Comic books are considered an original American Art form and can be a great way to get a reluctant reader reading. Participation is easy, just go to one of the stores or events listed below and pick one up. It’s first come first serve and when they’re gone that’s it so plan on arriving early.
- Galaxy of Books, 1704 7th Street, Winthrop Harbor (847) 872-3313
- Jays Comics, 34161 North US Rte 45, Grayslake (847) 223-8711 – The days events will include Artist Ashley Witter and Writer Ash Maczko appearance and signing, sales, prizes and contests.
- Outland Collectibles & Toys, 300 N. Milwukee Ave., Lake Villa (847) 231-5930
- Dreamland Comics, 105 W. Rockland Road, Libertyville (847) 680-0727 – Russel Lissau and Mark Stgbauer will be signing comics and hanging out.
Several local libraries are also participating:
- Deerfield Public Library, 920 Waukegan Rd, Deerfield
Visit the Youth Services department to join in the celebration of comics, answer trivia for a chance to win prizes, and pick up a free comic while supplies last!
- Indian Trails Library District, 355 Schoenbeck Rd, Wheeling
Pick up a free comic book while supplies last at the Kids Desk. Join us for the Comic Book Superhero Party from 11 am-12 pm. Drop in for fantastic activities.
- Barrington Area Library, 505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington
Drop by the main library or the South Branch to pick up a free comic. One per person as quantities and selection are limited.
- Grayslake Area Public Library, 100 Library Lane, Grayslake
Visit the Youth Services Department and get a free comic book while supplies last.
- Antioch Public Library District, 757 Main St., Antioch
There are genera’s for all ages and anyone wearing a comic or superhero costume will earn a chance at winning a gift basket or other prize. Don’t forget your camera to get some special pictures with a few superhero’s!