Since 2002 Comic Book stores and libraries have been giving away comics for free, that’s right FREE. It happens on the first Saturday in May which happens to be tomorrow. Why you may ask? According to the organizer:
Comic books are an original American art form, created in the early days of the twentieth century. They are fun to read, featuring a wide range of diverse story lines that capture the imagination of the readers. That’s worth celebrating in our book – we’re proud to be a part of this wonderful medium. To learn more about comic books and their history, go here.
Comic books can be a great way to get a reluctant reader reading. Yes really they count as reading! Participation is easy, just go to one of the stores or events listed below and pick one up. It’s first come first serve and when they’re gone that’s it so plan on arriving early.
- Galaxy of Books, 1704 7th Street, Winthrop Harbor (847) 872-3313
- Jays Comics, 34161 North US Rte 45, Grayslake (847) 223-8711 – The days events will include Creator Ashley Witter appearance and signing, sales, prizes and contests.
- Outland Collectibles & Toys, 300 N. Milwaukee Ave., Lake Villa (847) 231-5930 – Event includes Mark McHaley doing sketches for free during the day. McHaley’s artwork has been in Star Wars and Star Trek projects.
- Dreamland Comics, 105 W. Rockland Road, Libertyville (847) 680-0727 – Russel Lissau and Mark Stgbauer will be signing their new comic SURVIVAL.
Two local libraries are also participating:
- Deerfield Public Library, 920 Waukegan Rd, Deerfield
The Library is partnering with North Shore Comics in Northbrook to celebrate Free Comic Book Day! Visit the Youth Services department to join in the celebration of comics and pick up a free comic. Quantities limited, one comic per child.
- Indian Trails Library District, 355 Schoenbeck Rd, Wheeling
Grades K-8. Beginning at 9 a.m., the first 300 children at the library will be given a free comic book thanks to a partnership with Comix Revolution. Dress like your favorite super hero and be entered in a drawing for a fabulous prize. Stop by the Kids Desk!